Tuesday, August 07, 2007

Fun Evening Playing With New Techniques!



My first card since returning from convention. It was a fun one to make. I used some of the techniques that I learned more about there. I should clarify that I already knew of the ones I used here I was just nervous about trying them. But I decided they made it sound and look so easy I'd just jump right in. First the whole of the stamped images are on water color paper and use the watercolor technique of spritzing the stamp with a fine mist of water after inking it up. That I have done before and really like the look, but you do need to use water color paper for it to work correctly. I've tried regular card stock and do not like the looks as much. Then new for me techniques I used are on the sunflower and it's center. For the sunflower I first inked up the stamp in summer sun and then went over the inside portion of the petals with the pumpkin pie marker using the brush end. Then spritzed and stamped. The center of the flower I first inked the stamp with creamy carmel ink and then lightly tapped it on really rust pad. I really liked the look I got doing both or these and am trusting that I have not hurt either my pads or markers since I went from lighter ink to darker. I also did use some stickles glitter in the center of the flower to give a little extra kick.

One thing I learned from this card is that I really don't like plain backgrounds on everything. When I first laid out the card I had nothing on the green layer. It just looked blah to me so I decided to add some background that would surround the watercolor paper. I took the stamp used for the center of the flower and using a slightly darker green than the card stock I stamped around the edge. I had to be careful not to go off the edge since I had already taped the green to the gold, but this was a good thing as I like the look of scallops I ended up with. All in all I am very happy with this card.

I also played around with dyeing flowers from the pretties set and coloring and embossing both the flat pearls from the same set as well as embossing the large pop up glue dots. I don't have them on cards yet though and this post is getting long so I will explain about them in another entry when I have them on cards or at least have scanned pictures of the pieces to show with explaination. Let me just tantelize you with ....it was fun!

No comments: