Sunday, February 24, 2008

BIRTHDAY PARTY REPORT AND CARDS

The party was a great success! All the girls had a ball. The parents were amazed at how intent they were on making their projects and how quiet they were. Best of all my stamps are not to big of a mess. Fortunately I am not one that gets too upset over staining on the wood after all they are stamps. I did control color contamination by only putting out one color stamp pad at a time. The first projects used black pads and they added color with markers (not my SU markers however I have BIC markers for kids use). The second set of projects used red pads. Also each set of projects had their own exclusive stamps to be used so I didn't have to worry about cleaning them between projects.

The girls were quite creative. They looked at my samples and then pretty much did there own thing. They did a lot of just drawing with the markers also. The card stock was pretty well covered on each of the projects. I don't think I would do this with a group any younger than 7 however. The good news is it now sounds as if the mom's want to get together and do something!

Now, at to what I've been up to today. I have a friend who is a therapist and she asked me to make her some cards for people who have lost beloved pets; specifically cats and dogs. I was stumped at first what to do then I found some marvelous stamps from Cornish Heritage Farms. I immediately ordered them and they arrived very quickly. I got to sentiment stamps and a wonderful cat stamp. I am still looking for a nice dog stamp, but haven't found one I like yet. I did however fine a pet themed mat pack from DCWV that I was able to use for a dog card. I'm still on the prowl t find a nice not comic dog stamp.

For the cat card I used my SU craft ink spots in More Mustard, Pumpkin Pie and Chocolate Chip to color the cat fur and then used q-tips to put some Old Olive on the eyes. I stamped the image on So Saffron card stock and then embossed with clear embossing powder. I then used a q-tip again to lightly rub Blue Bayou ink around the outside of the image and used the tearing edge to get a ragged edge around the image. The DSDP is Blue Bayou layered on more So Saffron and the ribbon is Cream Grosgrain with a ribbon belt from my hodge podge set. After I did this I like how it looked somewhat like a collar.

In side the card is a sentiment that says " Always remember the quiet dignity, the sophisticated air, and the warm comfort. Your beloved cat may have gone, but your memories remain. Sorry for your loss."


I wanted to use the ribbon collar idea on the dog card as well. This is what I came up for that. The sentiment on the inside of it reads
"The sadness of a dog lost can be tempered by the memories left behind: Walks in the park, games with a ball, and even muddy paws on a clean floor. Sorry to hear of your loss."

I wish I had found these stamps sooner. Over the past few years I have had many friends loose a pet, including our loss of our own Mr Snuggles a wonderful and crazy beagle. I am glad I have them now. If any one has any help for were to find a nice not too small dog stamp I would very much appreciate a comment. Thanks.

10 comments:

Lizette said...

That's nice of you to make these beautiful cards. I looked for a dog stamp, can't see one yet but if I do I'll come back and let you know.

ElyBlair said...

Very thoughtful and good for the occasion!

Lee said...

Suzanne.......what wonderful cards and truly beautiful sentiments!! It is an occasion that's often forgotten but can really help the healing process!!

cheryl (clee') said...

Great card with that DCWV paper. I have some, but haven't done much with it yet. Great ribbon 'collar'.

Sarah said...

Suzanne, what great cards you made for a sad time in a persons life. I'm sure that those will help and the sentiments are perfect! I know the cards we got when we lost Davidson are still very precious to us.

Susan Hurley-Luke said...

So glad your workshops went well, your stamps weren't destoyed, the young girls were happy, and best of all, the Moms might want to have a demo!! Congratulations, Suzanne.

I love your cat card and the sentiments in each card. I like the collar effect on both too. I haven't seen a suitable dog stamp yet but they must be out there somewhere. Will let you know if I come across one :-)

Susan Hurley-Luke said...

You are so right, Suzanne. Receiving an order from SU! is always a good thing!

Hope you and your DH are doing alright. Am thinking of you :-)

Anonymous said...

These cards are fabulous! I love the colors- so warm and inviting!

Teresa said...

I am very happy and totally NOT surprised that your party went well. You had everything so well planned and organized that it was bound to go well. Congratulations!

Susan Hurley-Luke said...

Thinking of you and hoping things are alright over there, Suzanne. Take care and hope to see you online again one day soon.